Saturday 9 June 2012

The proper way to clean a deck

 

The proper way to clean a deck

In the last few weeks I have done a couple of deck restorations for some of my Denver-area carpentry clients.

The second deck I restored recently was a softwood deck that had seen many, several years of no care at all. As an added treat, the rough weathered railings on this deck were sanded down to a splinter free state. Like the cleaner, this product is a dry powder that is mixed with water and applied in the same manner. Once the cleaning steps are complete I allow the deck to fully dry a few days before applying the final oil based product. The acid nature of this second product brings the pH of the wood back into balance, which will prolong the wood's life. Here it's very important the keep the surface wet as well. I found that this helps keep some of the un-dissolved bits from clogging the sprayer if the mixing phase is rushed or mixed directly in the sprayer. A rinse with the garden hose removes the loosened dirt and grime, and then the deck is looking refreshed. It does not lighten the wood to the level of "peroxide blonde" but it does get rid of that weathered gray look. It also does a good job of lightening the wood. This hydrogen peroxide further breaks down into water and oxygen, and as far as "green" cleaners go, it is one of the very best. As you may expect, the cleaning power of hydrogen peroxide is pretty nice. In our climate, this is a bit on the longish side for the oil based products I prefer to use. It had been three years since I was last there performing routine maintenance. I can oil my entire 650 sq feet or so deck in about 6 to 8 hours. This higher moisture load results in more soiling and mildew. I then transfer this to a garden pump sprayer to apply it to the deck surface.

Power washing tips In some cases I will use my power washer to rinse away the dirt and grime as some of my clients are on wells along with their water pressure is a bit low. Unlike bleach solutions, this oxygen-based cleaner is better for the wood as its pH is much more wood friendly.

Oxygen based cleaner The primary ingredient in Penofin's cleaner (my preferred brand) is Sodium Percarbonate. To ensure a more thorough cleaning I scrub the deck surface with a deck scrubbing broom. This product works better when the surface is kept in a wet state. Before the cleaner is applied the wood is hosed down with water. With softwood decks the scrubby brush and garden hose work just fine, though a bit of elbow grease is involved. One afternoon's works isn't that big of a time commitment. I oil my own hardwood deck about every 18 months or so - spring one year, fall the next.

The proper way to clean a deck



Trade News selected by Local Linkup on 09/06/2012

 

No comments:

Post a Comment